Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Uburger

There are plenty of fast food options for hamburgers, including the numerous McDonalds and Burger Kings, yet many of them just do not satisfy. So what about Uburger, a hamburger newcomer to the Boston scene? I decided to put them to the test, to check out their offerings.

Uburger is based upon the idea of freshness. For example, their burgers are made from meat that is ground on premises each day. No additives, fillers or preservatives are added to the beef. They do not use freezers or heat lamps. Their french fries and onion rings are also hand made on the premises.

Presently, they are only located in Kenmore Square but will open another location soon. The store itself is a bit industrial in its look, with corrugated metal walls and metal chairs. But then you are not going there for the ambiance. You just want a casual, clean restaurant to get some good food. They also have a patio area where you can dine outside.

The menu includes burgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, salads, french fries, onion rings and drinks. They have several special burgers or you can just create your own from a list of about 25 toppings. A basic burger costs $3.75 and most toppings cost $0.25-$0.35 though nine of the toppings are free. A hotdog costs $2.00 and a chicken sandwich costs $4.50-$4.75.

I decided to create my own burger, a double patty with swiss cheese and bacon ($5.50). The patties are flat though a double patty is certainly a lot of meat. There was plenty of cheese and they used real bacon. The bun was a generic hamburg roll so nothing special. The burger was juicy and flavorful, easily beating McDonalds and Burger King. The price was very reasonable for this burger.

I also tried their onion rings ($2.00) and received a large mound of thin cut onion rings with a very tasty fried coating. I am very picky about my onion rings and these were very good. They were not greasy and did have a bit of a sweet onion flavor. Another good deal for the price. To drink, I tried one of their vanilla frappes ($3.95). their frappes are made with local ice cream, milk and traditional syrup. It was good, with a nice thickness though not so much that you could not drink it. They did have some combo deals in place, pairings of a side and drink at a reduced price. So, my burger, rings and frappe only cost a total, with tax, of $10.50.

Overall, I was pleased with my experience here. It reminded me a bit of Flat Patties in Harvard Square but I think the sides, fries and rings, at Uburger are better. For a quick burger, I would recommend you check out Uburger.

Uburger
636 Beacon Street
Boston, MA
Phone: 617-536-0448

Uburger on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Pam said...

The chicken there is fabulous as well.

Richard Auffrey said...

Thanks Pam, I will have to check out the chicken on my next visit.