Sunday, June 22, 2008

Saké Sunday: Trader Joe-san's Sparkling Saké

Trader Joe's has their own brand of Saké, a Junmai Ginjo, which sells for about $10 a bottle. I think it is a good tasting Saké and a great value for the price. I recently found that they also carry a Sparkling Saké.

Trader Joe-san's Sparkling Saké is sold in 330 ml bottles ($5.99) and is produced and bottled by the Ume No Yado Brewery Co. in Nara, Japan. It only has 6-7% alcohol content so it is a light beverage. It is meant to be served chilled. The colored bottle does prevent light from negatively affecting the Saké.

I found this Saké to have a bit of a fragrant nose with some rice aromas. On the palate, it has a mild carbonation, a bit frizzante. It is full-bodied with strong rice flavors as well as some mild fruit. It is rather dry and would be refreshing on a summer day. But, it is probably not a Saké for someone new to Saké. The strong rice flavor may be offputting to some. Though I generally think Sparkling Saké can be a good way to introduce someone to Saké, this would not be my choice for such an introduction. I enjoyed it, and think it has a good price, but I don't mind the rice flavors.

2 comments:

GollyGumDrops said...

What a curious idea. I have to say I'm tempted.

Richard Auffrey said...

There are several different Sparkling Sakes available. If you have never had them before, I would not suggest the Trader Joe to start. I do have recommendations for others though on my blog.