Friday, November 16, 2007

2007 Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau

As I mentioned previously, it is now Beaujolais Nouveau time! So I bought a couple bottles of the 2007 Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau ($9.99) at Rapid Liquors in Stoneham. I opened a bottle this evening with dinner, meatballs and pasta.

This wine has a vibrant nose of fruity flavors, including a bit of banana. I like that banana flavor and it is one of the reasons I enjoy Beaujolais Nouveau. It is a light-bodied wine, with bright strawberry and banana flavors. It did pair well with my food. It is certainly not a serious wine, but it is enjoyable. It has a tinge of sweetness which should make it more appealing to newcomers to wine who often seek a bit of sweetness in their wines.

Interestingly enough, Wine Spectator awarded this wine their highest score, 85 points, for this year's Beaujolais Nouveau. Two other such wines received this same score. For this Georges Duboeuf, they said: "A juicy red, with kirsch and strawberry flavors backed by light spice and sandalwood notes. There's enough structure to match with food. Drink now. 16,000 cases imported."

I may try some other Beaujolais Nouveau if I find others over this weekend.

As I said in my prior post, the Beaujolais Nouveau is a great gateway wine. It is something that should appeal even to many non-wine drinkers. And it might start those people to trying other wines as well.

So cheers!

2 comments:

Cheesesteak the Impaler said...

Interesting, Foodie, I came by here bec. my spouse and I were just opening a cheap bottle of Bully Hill. Upon first taste, I commented how much better it was than our disastrous Thanksgiving experience with this year's Duboeuf Beaujolais. So bad, we mulled it to make it palatable. Generally enjoying Duboeuf, tonight I sought any info on the possibility of this year's vintage having gone bad or some such. Surprised to see your review, and mention of Wine Spectator's rating. Perhaps I'll try another bottle from a different store.

Richard Auffrey said...

Hello Impaler and welcome to my blog:
I do hope your next bottle of the Duboeuf tastes better than your previous one. Hopefully you just had a bad bottle. If you try another bottle, please tell me what you thought. Thanks.