Friday, July 13, 2007

2004 Ponzi Vineyards Pinot Noir Reserve



This was my second birthday wine and it was absolutely superb! Just a major WOW wine.

Ponzi Vineyards is located in the Willamette Valley in Oregon and is famed for its Pinot Noirs. I have had some of their other Pinots before and enjoyed them very much. This was my first tasting of their reserve though.

The 2004 Ponzi Vineyards Pinot Noir Reserve ($55) was a low production wine, only 2,312 six-bottle cases having been made. It received 91 points from Wine Spectator. To me, it deserved a higher rating as I thought it was one of the best Pinot Noirs I have had in a long time. This is a perfect example of how well Oregon can make Pinot Noir.

The wine presents an intial mix of fine fruit flavors, including some dark cherry and raspberry. These are more subdued fruit flavors, more mature fruit. The wine has a long finish with hints of various spices. The overall impression is an incredibly smooth wine that tantalizes the palate. It is a very well balanced wine and the tannins do not overpower you. This wine could be drank alone, or with food. It has such a silky mouthfeel and its melange of flavors will only please you. It is definitely a top notch wine that you want to linger over. There was a touch of sadness when the bottle was finally empty.

I certainly recommend this as a Drink & Buy. It is not an everyday wine but it is well worth its price. I will seek out this Reserve again.

No comments: