Friday, May 11, 2007

Recommended Wines, $10 or less

We all enjoy finding value wines, those inexpensive wines that taste as if they were worth much more. It is definitely possible to find excellent and interesting wines for $10 and less, though it does take some work. You have to taste a lot of mediocre wine to find the true gems. I have done much of that tasting already. Thus, I offer some of my Recommendations for the best wines priced at $10 or less.

2004 Las Moras Bonarda, Argentina
2002 Bodega Jacques & Francois Lurton Bonarda, Argentina
2004 Le Jaja De Jau, France
2005 Les Rials, Vin de Pays des Cotes du Tarn, France
2004 Cantina Numa 'Tolenus', Italy
2003 Hill & Dale Pinotage, South Africa
2003 Mountain River Pinotage/Shiraz, South Africa
2003 Carchelo Jumilla, Spain
2004 Panarroz Jumilla, Spain
2004 Jose Maria Da Fonseca Periquita

3 comments:

Peter F May said...

I notice this is the second recommendation for the Hill & Dale Pinotage 2003.

It is a good wine and very good value; unfortunately the 2003's all quickly sold out where I am. This wine was a runner up in the 2004 Pinotage Top 10 competition, and it is the second wine of Stellenzicht and made by the same winemaker -- Guy Webber.

Richard Auffrey said...

Thanks Peter. I am a big fan of Pinotage and found the Hill & Dale especially compelling. I am always on the lookout for other Pinotages. I will also definitely check out your blog as it looks very interesting.

MRA said...

I too liked this. I was introduced to Pinotage last summer, and am in search of one I like as much as the one I tried initially.

Mikes-Wine-Blog